Saturday, July 28, 2012

Marketing for programmers - nice HN thread

By Vasudev Ram


Saw this thread on Hacker News. It is about marketing for software developers. Thought it was interesting, both in general, and because I've needed to do, and have done, some amount of marketing for my own consulting work as an independent developer.

Marketing is actually fun, interesting and challenging. In my own case, I've really only done marketing of the inbound kind.

I happened to stumble across or discover some of the techniques, more by osmosis than by intention, over a period of time, via reading about various topics on blogs, and slowly started applying them, initially without even properly realizing that I was doing so, and later on, consciously doing it. There is a lot to it - it is not a small field.

The HN thread was sparked by this post:

Being a Developer Makes You Valuable. Learning How to Market Makes You Dangerous

A slightly overly fanciful post title, I thought (the word "dangerous"). But the article was still interesting. I found the HN discussion more interesting.

- Vasudev Ram - Dancing Bison Enterprises

No comments: