Wednesday, August 1, 2012

URL unshortener - unfwd4.me


By Vasudev Ram


Unfwd4.me is a URL unshortener, the opposite of a URL shortener like t.co, Twitter's own one, or tinyurl.com or bit.ly. If you enter a shortened URL on its web site, it unshortens it and shows you the original form of the URL, as it was before being shortened.

URL un-shorteners can be useful if you are programmatically reading and processing tweets using some Twitter library, like Twython, a Python Twitter library which I blogged about recently.

I found unfwd4.me through a Google search for "URL unshorteners", for something I'm working on. I only tried it with Twitter-shortened URLs that start with http://t.co. It worked for some of those.

Apart from unshortening your shortened URL, it also tries to shorten the already-shortened URL even more, and seems to work some - though sometimes only shorter by one character.

- Vasudev Ram - Dancing Bison Enterprises

No comments: