Saturday, December 8, 2012

The most powerful computer in the world (1962)

Google Europe Blog: Remembering Ferranti Atlas: the UK’s first supercomputer

Interesting article.

When in college, I spent many pleasant hours in  the stacks of the British Council Library in Chennai (Madras), reading dozens of good computer and other books.

Most of the time I used to borrow four books at a time, which was the maximum allowed :-)

Although  it's the US which is largely in the limelight nowadays in the field of computers, the U.K. did and still does contribute a lot to the field.

I cannot forget those happy, interesting and educational hours I spent reading all those books,  nor the fact that it made a lot of difference to my career.

Thanks to the people behind the British Library for that.

- Vasudev Ram
www.dancingbison.com

No comments: