dancingbison.com | @vasudevram | jugad2.blogspot.com
PythonAnywhere from Resolver Systems is a new type of client-server Python development tool. It is not yet available, but you can sign up for the free private beta starting in a few weeks, at the preceding link for PythonAnywhere in this paragraph. Resolver Systems is also the company behind the Resolver One spreadsheet, which allows you to enter expressions in Python, and related products - see their products page for more information.
Some of the features and benefits cited for it (excerpted from their page) are:
- "a combined Python console and development environment that displays in your web browser and runs on our servers"
- "easy to create and run Python programs in the cloud"
- "Start work on your desktop machine, then later pick up from where you left off by accessing exactly the same session from your tablet"
- "When you print things out, instead of getting simple text, you get something you can interact with. Dictionaries and objects become expandable trees, ..."
- "If you're called away from your computer, you can log in from anywhere else and pick up exactly where you left off, with exactly the same command line and all of your variables and data just the way they were" --- I like this feature.
- "PythonAnywhere runs on super-powerful servers hosted by Amazon EC2, and you can take full advantage for that. Without paying a penny, you can run simple Python programs to help you learn. For heavy-duty processing, you only pay for what you use"
- "PythonAnywhere is preconfigured with loads of useful libraries, like NumPy, SciPy, Mechanize, BeautifulSoup, and many others"
- "Basic access to our servers, if you just want to try out Python, go through the tutorials, or do a few calculations, is completely free, and you don't even have to sign in"
Other things cost, on a pay-per-use basis.
Seems worth checking out when available.
- Vasudev Ram - Dancing Bison Enterprises