Monday, July 4, 2011

DuckDuckGo search engine may be useful for privacy and security

By Vasudev Ram - dancingbison.com | @vasudevram | jugad2.blogspot.com


DuckDuckGo (*) is a general purpose search engine like Google and Yahoo! search, created by Gabriel Weinberg, who had earlier sold another startup of his (as per a BusinessInsider.com article that I read).

(*) Yes, I know, the name DuckDuckGo is odd. But don't let that deter you from checking it out. The service may have benefits. I also was not too interested in it for a while, though I knew about it from a while ago, and that was partly due to the name.

But recently, I got more interested it it, due to seeing it crawl my web site http://www.dancingbison.com a few times over the last few weeks (as shown by Google Analytics), and then deciding to check it out some more on a whim, and then seeing some interesting stuff about it, namely, that it seems to put more emphasis on privacy (and hence security) than the major search engines like Google. Also, I like the relatively clean, uncluttered user interface of DuckDuckGo.

I also found that there were a handful of positive reviews of DuckDuckGo in well-known publications.

So check it out if you like: http://duckduckgo.com

And maybe, use DuckDuckGo itself to search for more links about it, including the reviews I mentioned above, etc. That may be an interesting test of it, so I leave it as an exercise for the reader (as textbooks are prone to say :-)


- Vasudev Ram - dancingbison.com

No comments: